What We Do
Wills and Trusts…and So Much More
When it comes to estate planning, wills and trusts are only one small piece of the puzzle. Barry Law offers a wide range of estate planning and elder law services, to help secure your future, your family, your assets, and your legacy.
Traditional Estate Planning Services
Traditional estate planning services include wills and trusts, advanced directives or living wills, powers of attorneys, healthcare proxies, and revocable and irrevocable trusts.
• A will is a legal document in which you express your wishes as to how your property is distributed at death. A will has no legal authority until after your death, and must be litigated in a probate court.
• An advanced directive or living will is a legal document in which you can specify your healthcare wishes if you are no longer able to make decisions due to illness or incapacity.
• A power of attorney is a legal document that gives another person (your agent) the authority to act on your behalf regarding your financial and legal affairs.
• A healthcare proxy (a.k.a. power of attorney for healthcare) is a legal document that gives another person (your agent) the authority to make decisions regarding your healthcare treatment in the event you are unable to make decisions due to illness or incapacity.
• Trusts come in all shapes and sizes and can be designed to accomplish various estate planning objectives. There are testamentary trusts, which become effective upon your death; revocable trusts, which are made during your life but may be amended and revoked; and, irrevocable trusts, which are designed for asset protection, incapacity planning, and tax planning.
Asset Protection Planning
An effective estate plan can help protect families from unanticipated and unplanned risks, which can diminish an estate. Some examples include lawsuits, nursing home expenses, divorce, and creditor issues.
Medicaid planning is designed to protect assets from nursing home costs, and ensure eligibility for government assistance through Medicaid, if needed in the future.
Probate & Trust Administration
Probate and Trust Administration can be costly and time consuming. Barry Law, LLC can assume the complicated responsibility of settling your estate, no matter how large or small
Get in Touch with Barry Law, LLC
Barry Law, LLC services clients in the greater Kansas City area, Topeka, Lawrence, Atchison, Leavenworth and surrounding communities in Kansas and Missouri. Send us a message using the brief form below.
10975 Benson Suite 310
Overland Park KS 66210